The following conditions are absolute and non-negotiable. Please initial after each statement to indicate your compliance. Any employee in violation of these practices is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
- One of the leading causes of back injury in the workplace is an improper lifting technique. Use proper lifting techniques to help you avoid these very painful injuries.
- Size up the load before trying to lift it.
- Bend your knees. Allow your legs, not your back, to do the work.
- Carry the load close to your body.
- Do not twist or turn your body once you have made the lift.
- Make sure you can carry the load where you need to go before attempting to move it. Make sure your path is free of obstacles and there are no hazards such as spills in your path.
- Set the load down properly. Lower your body slowly, letting your legs do most of the work.
Always push, not pull an object. Pushing puts less strain on the back.