Quality & Food Safety Manager
Our Quality and Food Safety team is made up of professionals who understand the difference our products make in the lives of pets. We are currently seeking a Quality & Food Safety Manager to join our team. This position is based in our Decatur, Arkansas manufacturing plant. Reporting to the Director of Quality and Food Safety, the Quality & Food Safety Manager will lead Food Safety and Quality programs at our manufacturing facility in Decatur, AR. This includes leading the management and oversight of FSMA compliance, GFSI on-going certification, and execution of site quality systems to ensure compliance with corporate Food Safety / Quality Assurance requirements and other related initiatives.
- Ensure that the business is advised and complies with FDA Food Safety Modernization Act requirements.
- Oversee and maintain all GFSI program requirements for the plant.
- Lead the current quality assurance and food safety processes which tie into business site-specific and corporate objectives. This includes ongoing FSMA compliance, Food Safety Plans (Preventive Controls), regulatory and certification audits, quality systems management, development of standard operating procedures (SOP’s), incoming ingredient inspections, food safety audits, consumer concern investigations and calibration programs.
- Oversee plant interactions and relationship with FDA, GFSI Certification Body, customers and consultants.
- Build, manage and maintain the Master Sanitation Schedule for the plant.
- Manage finished product evaluation system and provide leadership to drive improvements in key customer/consumer Quality attributes.
- Support training of staff and ensure maintenance of all training records on critical food safety and quality requirements. Oversee monitoring, verification, and validation activities to ensure that all products leaving the facility meet the facility Food Safety and Quality Plans.
- Provide guidance and leadership in situations where deviations have occurred, or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality attributes by assuring root causes are addressed through a corrective and preventive action process.
- Manage and provide leadership in implementing an effective and efficient documented CAPA program.
- Manage/ Oversee pest control program and microbiological testing to assure compliance with regulatory, GFSI and Corporate Food Safety & Quality standards.
- Reassess Quality and Safety Food plan(s) throughout the change management process which is required whenever there is a change to program, process, procedure, ingredient, equipment, industry philosophy, technology, etc.
- Develop data capture and analysis capabilities within the business and lead the development and implementation of statistical tools and systems to support continuous process and product improvement.
- Lead the site development of digitization of process and QA documentation.
- Act as an active contributor on the Site Senior Management Team to meet all business objectives.
- Development of succession plans for assigned associates.
- Support the development of corporate supplier quality management programs to help ensure the procurement of quality raw materials and packaging components used in the manufacturing of products.
- Provide assistance to product and process improvement activities by supporting research and development manufacturing trials at the site.
- Facilitate Food Defense programs.
- Other duties as assigned
Quality & Food Safety:
- Completes quality & food safety system documentation and verifies compliance to program standards. Reports deviations to Supervisor.
- Manages all mandatory food safety and quality training program requirements for the plant
- Preserves the integrity of the GFSI system through adherence to the policies and procedures outlined.
- Takes actions necessary to resolve food safety and quality system deficiencies
- Required to report food safety and quality system failures and take actions necessary to preserve the GFSI system.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the field.
- 5 – 10 years of food processing experience, with at least 3 years supervisory role in a manufacturing environment under USDA and/or FDA and HACCP.
- Experience in the implementation and maintenance of GFSI programs.
- Demonstrate leadership in the areas of food safety and plant regulatory affairs
- HACCP and/or PCQI training preferred
- Must have strong organizational and leadership skills
- Experience implementing and using statistical process control tools in a manufacturing environment
- Able to work with cross functional departments within the organization
- Strong problem-solving skills and corrective & preventive action/resolution skills
- Strong computer skills with experience using Word, Excel, Access, Power Point.
- Ability to manage and develop staff at all levels.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Able to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously, under tight time constraints and within budget parameters
- Well-developed written and oral presentation skills
- Ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally
- Demonstrates positive attitude and takes a proactive approach
- Sees challenges as opportunities and translates them into actionable tasks
- Energized by fast-paced environment
- Great relationship management abilities