A local company is currently in search of an Cost Accounting Supervisor to join our Building Construction System Operations business unit. The Cost Accounting Supervisor is part of the Cost & Operations Accounting area. They will supervise and control the cost accounting and inventory control system, so that it provides accurate and meaningful information. This includes investigating and resolving problems related to the flow of information through the production reporting, cost accounting and inventory control systems, as well as developing and generating reports to be used for management control purposes, analyzing variances, and preparing reports to production department managers and supervising the Finance Analyst regarding projects or problems in his/her respective duties.
- Manages the yearly physical inventory from a finance accounting point of view.
- Ensure that the company Financial Policies are adhered to concerning tracking and valuing the inventory activity.
- Aid in coordinating the monthly 8 hour closing process ensuring accurate and timely completion.
- Prepare monthly journal entries from worksheets, maintains daily records for all inventory elements, performs monthly reconciliations related to inventory reporting and overseas the Finance analyst in his/her respective capacity to close Plate Dept.’s books.
- Oversee metal receiving functions along with maintain accurate daily records for all metal receipts to reconcile the activity to inventory reporting and billings and book the necessary journal entries to record the metal receipt activity, which includes the appropriate cost variances (purchase price variances) for this activity.
- Oversee the budgeting process, in this very capacity instructs all Finance department team members.
- Provide accurate forward-looking inventory valuation information into the forecast process.
- Maintain and update worksheet for monthly forecasting of aluminum inventory. Including raw billet, scrap, WIP and FG.
- Calculate monthly earned budget for the production centers and load all budget data monthly into the Cost Center Statements. Input all monthly actual spending and statistical data and reconcile all data to their origins to ensure accuracy in each Cost Center Statement before sending to the Managers each month. Produce numerous summary statements requiring consolidations of many different statements.
- Perform monthly detailed analysis of expenditures on a request basis, review all monthly general ledger activity for inaccurate and invalid account usage and prepare adjusting journal entries to correct, and assist as required in special projects researching or compiling data that would be used in current condition analysis or to satisfy an information request.
- Issue and maintain document controls of all Physical Inventory forms. Prepare required inventory cut-off data and organize record keeping. This responsibility strongly supports our cut-off procedure when audited. Supervise all data entry activity for the physical inventory data files. Review all inventory edit listings to ensure all data from the inventory tag sheets was keyed into the inventory files.
- Perform monthly reconciliation between Oracle and the AS400 system and prepare adjusting journal entries to book to the general ledger. This responsibility includes updating standard costs in the AS400 system and Oracle.
- Incumbent supports preparation of company’s Self-Assessment Tool and must have an ongoing working knowledge of procedures and policies in the self-assessment tool related to inventory and cost accounting.
- Accurately forecast and explain forecast variation to actual for Inventory valuation items. Make improvement recommendations, financial and / or systems for Inventory projections.
- Maintain a close connection with the S&OP Team in order to enhance understanding of Metal Supply position and its implications on Finance.
- On-going participation in Kaizen, TPM, and Learning Center activities.
- Manage the Finance Analyst regarding projects and problems in his/her respective duties.
Qualifications – External
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 4 years of finance or accounting experience.
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
- CPA or MBA is preferred
- Minimum of one year supervisory experience
- Excellent personal computer skills (software programs including Word, Excel and Access) and practical knowledge of calculators.
- Excellent understanding of computerized reporting systems, query tools, and internal control.
- A systematic or organized approach to performing tasks with neatness, accuracy, and reconciliation.
- Individual must be able to work on multiple tasks as well as work for several individuals on a regular basis.
- Requires good communication skills and ability to perform and communicate financial analysis to support business decision making.
- Forward Thinking-Foreseeing and taking action to deal with future events, problems and opportunities.
- Collaboration-Sharing information and responsibility for results through building strong, positive business relationships. Ability to act as a Finance Business Partner to Operations departments.
- Getting Organizational Support-Using the influence process effectively to get things done.
- Attention to Detail-Making sure that work is done correctly, completely and to the highest standard.
- Problem Solving – recognizing and anticipating problems and opportunities for improving financial information, decision making data, systems [both manual and automated] and internal control environment.